Sunday, September 18, 2022

Fall in Alaska

My favorite two weeks of Alaska...Fall.


Photos never capture the radiance of the colors

Below are a pair of moose cows...they are a little tough to see...especially when you are driving.


My rock work area is getting covered in leaves. I won't even attempt to rake leaves or get the leaf blower out until the majority of the leaves have fallen.


Just for my historical perspective I want to make a note about the amount of rain we've received, "Summer of 2022."

In June we broke records for lack of precipitation and high temps. Awesome start to the summer.

Then a day or two after the 4th of July, our weather pattern completely changed.

In July - 18 days of rain.
In August - 27 days of rain
So far in September - 14 days out of 18 days...rain.

And when it rains...it is generally gray outside all day long.

Yesterday's sunny weather was glorious.

Thankfully, my garden has done well. But my big rock landscaping project has been disappointing. I have made decent progress but I sure hate to go through winter with a big pile of rock sitting where a lot of snow usually gets dumped by the fellow who plows our driveway.

I did finally get my quilting mojo back and loaded a top on the frame. I don't know why I had to pick one of the toughest prospects in my pile of quilt tops. I just finished quilting all the areas with cream thread. Now I need to go back and do lots of thread color changes for all the details. This quilt was a shop hop in Alaska many summers ago. Lots of  laser cut, fusible web appliques. Not fun to quilt on at all...but I am very thankful the tension goddess has been good to me so far. (I do have one small area I will need to fix/rip out and redo.)


I did get a top finished. Way back in May, I had a Material Girls retreat and we had a mystery block challenge. I finished my 20 star blocks at retreat. The second part of the challenge was to come up with a setting for the blocks. I am very thrilled with my solution. Our next retreat is October 20 -23.


My setting solution came from one of the oldest patterns in my stash, "Simple Gifts - #403". I bought this at a quilt shop in Colorado Springs when my son was there for a hockey tournament. He was probably 12 years old and is now 31. I remember the shop had a sample of the pattern made in the store. I think I must have looked at this pattern a thousand times over the past 19 years.


Evening stitching projects have been steady. 

The Bucilla ornament kit, "Partridge in a Pear Tree," is quite a challenge.
Number nine had a new technique for me...making curls for the Lady Dancing. Strands of floss were wet down and twisted around a straw to dry. The first attempt went well but the curls relaxed pretty quickly. So I rewet the floss and added hair spray...then twisted on small red coffee straws. Her curls still look great a couple of weeks later. 


And 10 Lords A-Leaping had sooo many details. Only two more ornaments in the set.


I finished the Timberline Santa series from Mill Hill.
Douglas Fir Santa, Scotch Pine Santa and Norway Spruce Santa


It's been a while since Logan and McKinley have been in a post. They were newly groomed in this shot. Hard to believe McKinley is seven years old and Logan is five. 


Lots of canning to pickle beets from my garden is underway. I always get a little anxious the latter half of September...winter is looming...so much to get done!!!

Thanks for stopping by and catching up on my world. 
Happy stitching.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

two weeks for fall that is all you get? :( so sorry for that - fall is my favorite too - normally September is cooling off and it is fun to be outside - this year we had a little cool off at the beginning of September and then it went back to 90's/70's miserable but at least it is dry not humid - but that means we are stuck in a bit of a drought.
All of your quilts are looking great - it was nice to see a blog post from you - you don't blog much anymore do you?

Mary said...

Beautiful fall pictures. Autumn is my favorite season.
I can’t believe your pups are now 7 and 5. I remember when when you bought each one home. Time sure flies.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I love your on-point setting with the bright strips! And your ornaments are just divine, I used to do Bucilla kits a lot, but haven't done one in years. Give those precious pups an ear rub!

Sally said...

I love the setting you chose for your retreat quilt. And, of course, one can't go wrong using batiks - I love me some batiks!

Your babies are so handsome! Ours always look amazing the day they come home from the groomer but living in the country, it doesn't take long for them to start looking pretty grungy.

Ahitra said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from Lymes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My husband suffered from Lymes and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and I saw testimony of so many people who were cured from Lymes , and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to Lymes. I never imagined Lymes had a cure not until I contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.Lymes has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua can cure Herpes,Hiv,Cancer,ALS,Copd,HPV,Lupus,MS,Diabetes, and other disease talk to Dr Itua on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony . https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/