Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Material Girls February Retreat

I love retreats!

 I belong to a couple of retreat groups but this is my only overnight group. 
The Material Girls rent out a B & B in Wasilla for a long weekend. Each room sleeps three and has a private bath. There is a full kitchen and a small kitchen so pretty nice for hunkering down for three or four days. Our retreat starts on Thursday at noon and runs through late Sunday afternoon. We have two quilt shops in Wasilla to shop at plus lots of restaurant options. 

I have a little tradition of starting my retreat with binding a quilt. I'm usually one of the first to arrive and have four tables to myself for several hours...lots of room for binding a king-sized quilt.


I still need to finish hand stitching the binding. 

I'm sharing photos of some of the projects from the weekend. Quite a variety of projects.















Mary made a spring Kuspuk...traditional clothing for Yui'pik Alaskans. Summer parkas are made with colorful cotton fabrics and trimmed with ribbon and rick rack. Winter kuspuks are made of fur.


My other projects were two Kaffe Fassett quilts. The first had paper pieced sections. I ordered the border fabric when I got home. 


Everyone got very tired of hearing me complaining about the flimsy quality of this fabric. 

My second Kaffe project had some Indah batiks from Hoffman mixed with the Kaffe fabrics so I was a little happier sewing on these fabrics. 


My husband was taking care of the pets while I was away. When we leave the house, the animals stay in my sewing room since it has a tile floor and doors that close it off from the rest of the house. One day, Logan got bored and grabbed a roll of toilet paper to rip up. 


The toilet paper was tracked all over the house. 

Thankfully...easily clean up.

The next Material Girls retreat is in late April.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes shredded toliet paper should be easier to clean up then some other things would be. It looks like a great amount of quilts made and work done on your retreat. That must be fun I like the first quilt of yours shown -a lot of work went into that!

Ramona said...

Some beautiful things came out of your retreat. I love Kaffe fabrics, but they are a bit on the thin and flimsy side.