Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Try, Try, Try Again

Here's the current status of my studio. Half of the wood has been pulled up. I am almost done packing up everything.


Hopefully the other half of the wood will be pulled up today. Almost everything is now on wheels so it won't be a big deal to move stuff around. Getting that yellow glue up has been a challenge. Looks like a heat gun will work. 


Plan C
SO...given the fact that this is a basement I have decided the best flooring option is a water proof tile. I'm hoping to get this right! We have slate tile throughout our house but it's not a good surface for tables and carts on wheels because of it's rough and uneven surface. So the least expensive option is a porcelain tile. Shipping to Alaska adds a lot to tile prices...you can pretty much double the price from lower 48 prices. It's a nice sized space...about 540 sq.ft. I started out with a tile supplier...lovely tile...not so lovely prices. Next...Lowe's and Home Depot.

I think lady luck is on my side this time. At Lowe's...way on the end of the tile aisle...hiding underneath some other tiles...I found exactly what I was looking for. There were four pieces available unboxed for purchase so I bought them and I am convinced they are perfect.


Looks great next to the paint...I do not want to repaint so this makes me happy.

At the threshold to the studio this tile will be against slate tile...looks great!


And then there is the bathroom off  my studio that has tile floors...looks great against that tile too!


And the best news...$2.02 per sq.ft. I don't think I can find anything cheaper. And there is plenty of the tile available at a second Lowe's in Anchorage. After I double check with my handyman on measurements I will be buying it. Of course my handyman also does tile work. I just might get the tile installed before I leave...one less thing to get done this summer when I return.

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

A lot of work but yes best to go with the water proof selections. Glad you had it there and don't have to order if from some place else.

Suz J said...

Yay and Yay! Hope you make that handyman some scones or something - he needs to be bottled!

Lynette said...

Hey, that tile *does* look great with everything. And at such a good price! Don't you love serendipitous finds like that?

Sand and Sunshine said...

Great save and find too. This looks like it has the perfect surface for everything on wheels and you're right it looks good with everything else too. Good for you.