Sunday, August 25, 2019

August Breakfast Club


I made a great effort to pull myself away from landscape and garden chores to attend Breakfast Club last Thursday. Our project was, "Butterfly Patch."


 Below is Marcia's class sample. She substituted more complex 6-inch blocks for her version.


Laura worked on the pattern ahead of time and finished her version in class. No patchwork blocks. 
Seeing how others interpret a pattern is my favorite part of Breakfast Club.


I played in EQ8 to get my concept drawn.


My goal was to finish the monkey wrench and chain blocks. 


I got done with  my center blocks too. I'm looking forward to tweaking this design as I work on it.

Marcia had her class samples for the next two Breakfast Clubs ready for us. Both are smaller quilts.

September's Club will feature this Cozy Quilt Designs mini version of "Daybreak." Strips that are 1 1/2-inches wide are substituted for 2 1/2-inch strips.


And for October's Breakfast Club there is a fun Pattern Basket design, "Pumpkin Seeds."


The quilt shop we meet at, Seams Like Home, is hosting a mystery quilt starting in September. For $89 you purchase a brown paper bag of fabrics and only the focus fabric in a ribbon is shown on the outside. If the ribbon is in batiks then all  of the fabrics will be batiks. Below is what was in my brown paper bag.


I'm very excited with my fabrics. The shop did this last year and it was a huge hit. Every brown paper bag is a different selection of fabrics. A lot of the ladies from Breakfast Club did the mystery last year and it was so much fun to see all the different quilts so I had to join in this year.

Have share one of my studio projects...I tore the carpet off the support stands on Eli's cat tree and covered them in twine. Eli had shredded the carpet with his clawing and the one section wrapped in rope was in tack but really too short for my huge Maine Coon. He barely fits in the top bed but he loves this spot.


I have such a sense of quilt renewal after seeing the ladies at Breakfast Club.

I really hope to actually get a quilt top loaded on my quilt frame today. Maybe I can get my quilting mojo back!

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your cat and the tower to climb! perfect.
Lover the butterfly too

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What great Breakfast Club projects!! Love the colors for fall in September and October's pumpkins are so creative!!

Donna quilts said...

I sometimes lose my quilting mojo too! But seeing a new fabric line or someone else's gorgeous quilt will often be all I need to get it back. I really like your version of the butterfly quilt.

Sally said...

I love those batiks in your mystery bag....am excited to see what you make with them. You always come up with some stunning designs. I'm slowly working on the Row by Row blocks that work with my Ice Cream theme....I might even finish it this year, now that I'm retired!

Mary said...

I love all the fabrics you got for the mystery quilt. The ladies in your Breakfast Club meetings always show some interesting quilting ideas. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
I can't believe how big your cat is. Our cats never went for the scratching posts--only furniture.

Lynette said...

Ooooo!!!! Wow, I really love what you're doing with the butterfly pattern!!