Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas Workshop

I pulled a vintage Bucilla kit from my stash to mindlessly work on in the evenings during this holiday season. Only sequins needed to be added to this adorable tree skirt. I am going to use it as a decorative table cloth. 


It took me a little longer than I thought...11 evenings of stitching sequins. The circle is distorted in this photo...it is perfectly round.


The kit included red rick rack for the outer edge but I would like to get some red jumbo rick rack and line the backside. I will probably use white felt on the backside...don't want any slippery fabric.

My tall tree duo of wall hangings continues to include too much drama in the construction process.


How in the world did I manage to get this tear in my fabric? I was having tension issues with my midarm and in the process of ripping out the bad stitching my seam ripper did this slit. ARGH!!! I added some fray check to the edges.

The tension issues were due to my stitch regulator crapping out on me. It dawned on me I don't need a stinking stitch regulator...after 10 years of quilting I am surely capable of quilting at a steady speed....


All my tension issues disappeared when I turned off the stitch regulator.

Still have wonky edges to the extreme on the quilt top that got washed before it was quilted.


Both wall hangings are soaking in hot water since I had at least one of the batiks bleed when I washed Eli's vomit off the top. Both will get blocked. If I get them looking straight enough I will add buttons for the ornaments to hang. Sooo...maybe they will be on the walls of my home next Christmas. I have a back up plan that will include a lot of decorative garland around the edges that will help disguise wonky borders if they persist. 

And here's Eli....


still getting in the middle of my quilting projects. 

I have six boxes of printed cottons I kept from Nancy Halvorsen and Debbie Mumm. All my other fabric in the studio is batik. I have kept those cotton prints for several different projects I have dreams of making...someday.

Instead of starting Bonnie Hunter's Frolic mystery, I stared working on this stocking pattern.


I got through two of the paper piecing sections. The next biggie is to applique the motorcycle parts...there are so many tiny pieces!!!

And there was a great price on this Bucilla kit I couldn't resist. 


Wish I could figure out how to get into Santa's time continuum that allows him to deliver Christmas presents around the world in one night. I'd love to finish several projects in one night!

Hubby and I are having a sweet, small Christmas together. Both our sons are far from home this holiday. We are anxiously awaiting the new year...our first grandchild is due to arrive January 2nd. 

You know I will let you know right away when the newest Bailey arrives.

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congrats on new grandchild - that will be exciting - well they be near or far? such nice work on all - we all have the problem quilt now and then, hope you can get it straightened out

Linda Enneking said...

It looks to me that you could remove the side binding, shorten it and sew it back on, easing in the background fabric a bit as you go.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Such lovely projects! Love your handwork. Congratulations on the new addition to the family, hope all goes well for the new grandchild's entry into the world.

moosecraft said...

A grandchild is the perfect way to start a new year (new decade even)!!! :-)
Love that Bucilla Christmas Tree kit! Looking forward to seeing that one stitched up!

Donna quilts said...

How exciting - a first grandchild! No doubt that baby won't be lacking any quilts to lay on!
Don't cats just love to squeeze into boxes and get fur all over things. Mine do. They find spots to nap that look so uncomfortable.
I really like your tall Christmas trees. What about putting Velcro on the back of them and attaching them to peltex or another really stiff board product while you have them displayed. Then you would be able to unstick them and roll them up for storage when the season is over. Just a thought.