Thursday, November 18, 2021

Catching Up on Projects

It’s here…the holiday season! 

The last week of October and the first week of November were isolation days for hubby and me as I caught Covid and then I gave it to him. The good news is we are both pretty much back to normal and getting on with life…yeah!

We were able to get an infusion of monoclonal antibodies which helped quicken our recovery. I did my first telemedicine appointment with my natural path and she loaded us on some immune building supplements. We had to cancel a trip to Houston to visit friends and families but it worked out that our son who is in the Air Force and doing a three-month deployment with his unit got a week off and was able to come to Anchorage. My other son who flies for a cargo company was in town too so for the first time this year…we had a complete family gathering. We’ve all had Covid so no more worries about family gatherings. 

I did work on some cross stitch projects…I felt good enough to count. I finished up a set of Mill Hill witches, Miranda, Mimi and Muriel. 


I finished hand stitching the binding on  my, “Tropical Dreams,” quilt. We get almost no sunlight on our house this time of the year and soon we won’t get any until late January. We have 18-inches of snow on the ground so I did snap a photo…but the light has a definite blue cast to it. This is a huge 110 x 110-inches. I am imaging running my toes through warm beach sand instead of trekking around in snow boots. 


More photos to come of this quilt in the summer!


This is a fat quarter friendly pattern, “Gimmie Diamonds.” I added a piano key border…had enough scraps to make it happen.

For several months now I have been creating quilt kits from my stash of fabrics and patterns. It really makes me feel great to commit fabric to a plan. Plus…I’m ready for any sewing/quilting gathering that I’m lucky enough to attend. The latest kit is a pattern from the magazine American Patchwork & Quilting, December 1997 issue. I’ve also been trying to pick patterns that use the many specialty rulers in my stash.


I’m really excited about this kit. The snowflake fabric is a piece I bought on my Bali trip in 2013. I had the blue mottled batik and the white solid in my stash. I sewed a sample block…trimming with the specialty Bloc Loc ruler. It is perfect. 

My Material Girls group has a challenge due at our February retreat. EEK! I have one of the four blocks completed. My goal is to get one done a week…and I haven’t gotten this week’s  block done yet.

One of the Material girls had set of the Frivols kits (a monthly kit released by Moda several years ago). This is the kit gifted to me, “Windermere.” Lots of points to match up!


We had a Sew-In Saturday last week and I worked on my next row in the Lori Holt pattern, “Sew by Row.” This is a very fun project to stitch on every now and then!


I finished stockings for my newly married son and his bride.


They were married on the beach of Oahu so a beach theme was picked. I’m working on finishing companion ornament kits.

Where ever you are in the world…hopefully it is a bit warmer. We are in a sub-zero stretch of weather right now which usually means clear skies. It is beautiful but outside excursions require lots of layers.


We sit on the side of mountain in a valley. The sun skims the mountains across the valley from us and then we are in the shadow of those mountains which is why we loose our sunlight on our house for a two months. Every day the sun’s path across the horizon is lower and lower…until one of my favorite days of the year, Dec. 21st. Then we start gaining sunlight. 

My next post will be loaded with…Christmas decorations. I’m in the thick of it. I usually have some glitter in my hair or stuck on my face…very festive around here!

Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful quilt - sorry you all have had covid but glad you are all better now and hope you do not get it again. we have had both vaccinations and booster so feel fairly comfortable going out and about but wear our mask still when it is crowded Arkansas is picking back up in cases again.
I don't know how you can stand lack of sun light for two months I don't know if I could handle that well

Jill said...

Nice to hear that your family has recovered from covid and you all could get together. Good you were able to stitch. You inspire me to get Mill Hill kits. They are charming. I love your state of Alaska and often wonder how I’d fare there at this time of year. Here in Michigan we receive winter sunshine, but not enough to give Vit D. Many nice quilting/stitching projects you have. Enjoy your Thanksgiving and Christmas decorating.

Ramona said...

I'm glad you and your husband are feeling better and YAY!! for family get togethers! Your quilt is gorgeous, and even prettier on the snow. I'm so excited to see your Christmas decorations. It's a highlight for me. :)

Suz J said...

Gosh, so much going on. First, sorry to hear the dreaded Covid has paid a visit but awesome news that you have all recovered. I love the idea of your quilt kits (I always think the older magazines have the better designs) and I love the simplicity of the star block - but doesn't it combine into a wonderfully complex quilt. I always have problems with half square rectangles (joining them to the next piece and still getting pointy corners 😞) - does the ruler help?