Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas 2021

 I am definitely ready for Christmas.


But first a little review of projects completed recently.

My quilting group, Material Girls, had a Sew-In the second Saturday of December. We did a little potluck but no gift exchange. You know how challenging those gift exchanges can be...we were all up for removing a little stress from our holiday season.

  One of the ladies requested I bring in my latest Bucilla stockings…so of course I did!  


I also brought the set of companion mermaid ornaments.


After the Sew-In, I finished two more kits to compliment the stockings.

Seashore Santa ornament kit.


And Under the Sea ornaments


The stockings and ornaments are for my son and daughter-in-law who were married in Hawaii last February. They picked a beach theme for their holiday decorating…complete with a white tree. I bet all these ornaments look great on their tree.

I spent the Sew-In making another set of blocks in the Lori Holt pattern, Sew by Row. 
I really enjoy having a "row" to work on at these Sew-Ins. 


My big quilting project for December was a quilt for my granddaughter, “Mushing Santa.” About two years ago, P & B Textiles released a panel set, "Santa's Siberians," with the artwork of Jon Van Zyle. I love following the Iditarod race every year and bought two sets of the panel....I mean...how often am I going to find fabric with a mushing Santa? 

I then searched for a book about a mushing Santa Claus and found one about a dog musher helping Santa deliver presents to a remote Alaska village. The lead sled dog in the story is, “Kate.”
 That just happens to be my granddaughter’s name.
Oh my...what a serendipitous event!


I used EQ8 to draw up a custom layout for the panel pieces. 
That was the easiest part of the whole project!

From the start...I knew I wanted to add the names of the dogs to the quilt
 ...but then I got another idea in my head.

My son is a pilot in the Air Force and wears patches on his flight suit to indicate his unit and call sign.
 My granddaughter loves playing with Velcro backed patches.
 I decided to make patches she could put in place.



I washed the quilt today and did a trial run on adding the patches to the quilt.


The patches have the hard sticky side of the Velcro and the quilt has a little 2-inch piece of the soft side of the Velcro on the bottom edge of each dog panel.


I can't tell you how many nights I pondered this project when I should have been sleeping.
It was a challenge I enjoyed...making my vision work.

 Tomorrow I’ll see how Kate likes her new quilt.

And I have one more accomplishment to share.
 
I made a video for my YouTube channel.
My channel had been ignored by me for six years.
My videos are tutorials for constructing Bucilla felt stocking kits. 

This is just a little video of my holiday decorations...how I display 61 felt stockings! 



I need to brush up on my video skills and learn more about the editing programs...but it is a great start for my 2022 goal of making more videos. 

Thank you for all your visits and comments...here and on my other media platforms.

Merry Christmas

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Merry Christmas - love the dog quilt - so cute - now I will go watch the video!

Sally said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours. That Mush quilt is lovely...and ingenious! Well done, YOU!

Suz J said...

Merry Xmas Debbie. Your stockings and ornaments are simply amazing 😍. What a great idea for the names for the dog quilt, I'm sure it will be much loved 🐶

Jill said...

The Bucilla stockings are beautiful! Lucky are those who attended your get together and could see them in person. The Santa mushing panel was made for you! Excellent how you’ve personalized it for granddaughter. Picture perfect spot for the Christmas tree and stockings. I shall watch the video.

Kathleen said...

Thank you for the tour. You’re house is decorated so cheerfully!