Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Stocking Obsession Revealed

Last night I hosted my Bunco group for our Christmas gathering. It's been a while since I've shared my home with "outsiders" when it's decorated with my collection of stockings and other handmade items. It's a bit over the top and I always feel a little embarrassed when others witness my obsession with crafting for Christmas. (My family just thinks this is normal I'm sure.) The entryway is the showcase for most of my quilted items...most of which are my...bear stockings.


A series of Nancy Halvorsen stockings grace the top of the railing...a little hard to see in this photo.



Here's a close up of one of the stockings. They are from her book, "The Night Before Christmas." Lots of great little quilts and eight stocking patterns. 

I also have a small tree with some mini cross stitch ornaments in the entryway.


But the main attraction for me is the Nutcracker quilt I finished this past spring...I put a little garland on top of the hangar...saw that on other blogs...nice idea.


Here's another photo of the entire quilt taken earlier this year. It only took me eight years to make it.


Then they round the corner into the great room...just a few more stockings.


Here's a closer view of some of my favorites.


These are all made from Bucilla felt kits. Every year there are about 10 new designs released...of course I try to keep up...that's why it's an obsession. The older designs sell nicely on Ebay so I am in some good company with this obsession. I am looking for two stocking kits in particular, Rock 'n' Roll Santa and Santa's Sleigh...so please don't bid against me!


Just a few more pictures of my favorites...I  love the story of Noah. 


Oh...I just love this one...Mrs. Claus is holding...a stocking with Santa's name!


I'm pretty sure this was the one that started it all...my first born's stocking...we lived in Texas at the time.


Then number two son came along and he needed a stocking.


The highlight of the Bunco gathering was a gift exchange...where you get to "steal" a present or pick a new one from the pile. I put a handcrafted gift in the pile of presents wrapped very plainly. It was one of the last ones picked. I've shared them before on my blog, my moose ornaments. 


I split the pair up and put Merry Moose in the gift exchange and Chris Moose as the Bunco gift for the person who won the last Bunco of the evening. I can't tell you how much it pained me to split the pair up...but it all worked out in the end as the gal who won Merry Moose just happened to win Chris Moose...and she's a quilter who was sooo excited to win them both! It made me very happy.

Now I have to get back to making more Christmas stuff.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL oh my god - so many and such wonderful work! everyone must want you to make one for them too! This is a wonderful obsession I think. I love the nutcracker quilt - so unique.
Karen

Kathy Schwartz said...

Now what I want to know is does Santa fill all those stocking Xmas Eve? :)
You should be proud to show off your work, all your creations are amazing. Great obsession to have!

Lynette said...

Whoa!!! OH MY GOSH!! That is **awesome** :D

Baker_ia said...

I am in aw of all the beautiful Chirstmas stockings. It is like WOW

KimmiCon said...

This is great. My children and i make new stockings every year. One day i hope my home looks like yours with my babies stockings every where. Youre collection is great and so are you.