Sunday, July 13, 2014

One Step Forward, Three Steps Back

How does one count time spent quilting a top? Should I include the six hours I have spent ripping out? Erase the three hours I spent quilting the part I ripped out? This time it was not tension or the fault of the machine at all that led me to pick up the seam ripper...it was a woman's prerogative...I changed my mind about the design.


I just wasn't sure about what to do in the floral fabric border area...so I went to the default feathering solution. It just bugged me when I got done. Too much stitching...wasted in an area that really wouldn't show the work against the print of the fabric. In the middle of a Jazzercise class...the design solution came to me out of the blue. Love it when that happens. Finally ready to get re-started.

I finished another cross-stitch ornament. Only one more to finish the series of six.


I ordered the full set of Hoffman 1895, five-inch samples from Webfabrics and I want to pink all the edges. I bought a set of samples when Hoffman first came out with the 1895s but since then a whole lot of colors have been added! It was time to update...I do use these quite often when determining colors for quilts...kind of like having a paint chip set.


And I ordered another backing fabric from Sew Batik...a teal color for my storm at sea version. Love the Sew Batik backings. They have a loser thread count than the standard batik which is nice and soft for backings.


I'm anxious to get back to quilting!

5 comments:

kellsgal said...

Aww Debbie, I know exactly how that feels. I can't wait to see it finished. You really inspire me. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Melody

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the 1895 Hoffman batiks, I use them frequently. I have a big card that I ordered from them years ago - the samples are small size but enough that I know what I would be getting. Sorry about all the ripping! no fum

Cathy said...

What is the phrase...... been there... done that, and for the same reason. It hurts to take it out, but it's worth it, in the end.

Suz J said...

Whether you count it or not - you definitely need a pat on the back for just stopping and ripping, not putting it off and creating a new long term WIP. I have a quilt that I started quilting with a pantograph that just wasn't working... but I'd done about 6 rows of it before I gave up. It's all rolled up in a ball, and one day I'll get back to unpicking the rest of it :0(

audrey said...

You count ALL your time spent! Hard to unpick, but sometimes it's the only option that makes sense.:)