Sunday, August 6, 2017

Ricky Tims Master Class Lecture


We are so fortunate in Anchorage to have a fantastic quilt shop, Seams Like Home, that brings internationally renowned quilters to our part of the world. I attended Ricky Tims' two-day lecture  on Friday and Saturday. Those two days were the warmest and sunniest of the entire summer so far...it would have been torture to be inside all day...but Ricky rocked my little quilting world and I didn't want to miss a minute of his lecture.

Above is the cover to the 120-page syllabus/book that comes with the lecture series. It is like getting four separate quilt books and covering all the details of those books in two day. It was intense.

Normally, he brings a trailer load of quilts to his lectures but since he flew to Alaska he brought a smaller sampling. We were allowed to touch all the quilts...really inspect them. One of my favorites was his self portrait.


He shared four unique binding or finishing techniques he created...two of them work great for pieces without straight edges.


The show stopper was his Bohemian Rhapsody quilt. I definitely want to explore his techniques for making this style of quilt. There were no seams to make the pointed corners. Definitely a master with his machine. 


There were several moments where I thought, "Why didn't I think of that???"


Ricky is a great entertainer. If you get a chance to take his seminar...do it.

1 comment:

carol fun said...

Doesn't he put on a great program??? I've been lucky enough to take a class with him years ago and attend a couple of his lectures. He is so entertaining and I love his work I saw Bohemian Rhapsody at Paducah when it won... it is gorgeous. Glad you had a good time with him....happy stitching!