Monday, September 18, 2017

Completing Projects

I finished the binding on my Sea Holly Hunter's Star quilt just in time for September's Breakfast Club. The club is meeting tomorrow. I made my own border design but used the construction method from the Missouri Star Quilt Co.,  Block magazine holiday issue from 2015. I had a layer cake and jelly roll from the Hoffman Sea Holly Bali colorway hiding in my stash. The background is also a Hoffman Bali dot 885 colorway, #413 Watercress. Beautiful fabrics.


I have found that quilting  with parallel lines along the border tends to distort the border...I know my piecing was spot on when I made the top and this is the second quilt I have noticed this issue occuring. I am always learning.

I finished another cross stitched Santa ornament, Musical Santa. 


On Saturday, I had some new visitors to my yard, three horses that got loose from my neighbor. They roamed our street for a few hours which made my dog, Logan, absolutely crazy. 


And the end is in sight for my autumn landscaping projects. Little bits of rock left to move. I'm not tackling any new  landscaping projects until spring of 2018. 


It is raining today and my list of indoor projects is extensive...but getting ready for Breakfast Club will be my number one priority.

I missed the August Breakfast Club because I woke up that morning to a very sick dog. As it turns out, McKinley, most likely had a bacterial infection caused by eating rabbit tainted with Tulameria,  also known as Rabbit Fever. Antibiotics took care of the illness. It was very scary for about 24 hours. We are experiencing a boom in rabbit numbers this summer throughout Alaska. There are cycles to the rabbit population...who knew? The owls in our area leave rabbit parts from their hunting excursions and I am often pulling rabbit parts out of the dogs' mouths. 

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry your dog was so sick! that is bad of those owls to leave parts behind! Love your fall photo with the horses and the aspen trees (or birch?) lovely

Sally said...

Sorry to hear about Kinley but, well I can only say ICK to pulling rabbit parts out of their mouths! You Sea Holly Hunter's Star is lovely....Thanks for sharing.

Suz J said...

Love your finished star quilt. It really is beautiful. Interesting that you have stretching on those border areas... I would have thought that quilting using a quilting frame arrangement would stop that from happening. Does it need to be basted first? Might be time to do some research!