Monday, March 4, 2019

Tough Day



My father, retired Gunnery Sergeant, USMC, Johnny Tex Jones, died this morning.
 He had advanced bladder cancer and was also suffering from dementia, both possibly related to chemical exposure in the drinking water while we lived on Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. He served two tours on the front lines of the Vietnam War but only told me silly stories about stealing ice cream from the Air Force. My husband and I called him King Putz...he was always working on a project. One of his most successful projects was restoring a 1978 Corvette. My sons called him, "GP," short for grandpa. He loved that special nickname. He took great pride in his two grandsons...they were who and what he talked about the most the last few months of his life. He always called me princess. I couldn't have had a more loving and supportive father. He had many obstacles in his life but he never quit moving forward.


12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

always sad when we loose a parent - it sounds like you had a very great relationship and that will give you many memories

Sheila said...

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your father this morning, dear. You have a beautiful family. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts.

CecileD said...

Oh Debbie... I'm sending you a million of kisses....
All my thoughts are with you and your family.

Linda Eaves said...

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like a lovely man.

Lynette said...

Debbie, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Calicojoan said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Hugs!

Sally said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending prayers and hugs from southwest Missouri!

Kathy Schwartz said...

So sorry for your loss Debbie. Hugs

Suz J said...

Big hugs Debbie... my thoughts are with you and your family.

Ramona said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you grieve the death of your father. It's wonderful to have such happy memories of him. May these memories help you get through this difficult time.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love that you have amazing memories. Hugs to you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss

Donna quilts said...

Sorry to hear about your dad's death. It sounds like he has left you and your family some wonderful memories. Take care.