Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Calm Seas

I am so impressed using the templates from Marti Michell on my storm-at-sea pattern. I've got a corner together...look how great the points match! I am a happy camper. There's a heck of a lot of point-matching in this pattern. I'm taking it in little bits everyday.


I always baste where points meet before I commit to a final seam.

My new French friend, Christelle, has shared a website that allows me to watch US television shows. The one show I was watching this season before coming to Paris was The Voice...finally got to see the final 10 and final 8 shows. Last night's episode isn't available yet. I love how positive the show is and very entertaining. With some TV to watch at night I have cranked through some embroidery on stockings. I got the top done on "Jungle Bells."


The most fun stage for me on these stockings is starting a new one! I decided to do a "girlie" design...I don't do those often enough. This one looks like it will go quickly. Lots of simple embroidery stitches.


My husband is back in Alaska...getting to see the new furniture for the first time that came in the day before I left for Paris. It really is a treat to have new furniture when the house has been mostly empty the past year. (I miss my house!) Yesterday it was -21 (that's Fahrenheit) along Eagle River. Today it is supposed to be about 10...much better. There is about a foot of snow on the ground. (I have learned it is an American obsession to discuss the weather all the time...or maybe it's because I live in a family of pilots.)

I've given hubby a list of DMC embroidery floss to pick up before he leaves Alaska. I feel terrible making him go into a JoAnns or Micheals at Christmas time but he was happy to do it when I told him how much more expensive it would be for me to buy it in Paris. (Christelle and I spent time talking about the horrible prices in France for fabric and DMC floss...it just isn't right that it is cheaper...even with international shipping...to order from the states. It makes it impossible to support local businesses...an unfortunate cycle of events. It must be taxes that drive the prices so high.)

Back to  my obsession with weather. Sometimes I feel like Eeyore...I've got a little black cloud that follows me. It was sunny yesterday morning...not a cloud in sight. I hurried to get outside and take in a walk along the Seine. Less than half way through my walk I realized it wasn't sunny anymore. A huge wall of grey clouds came from nowhere! At least there wasn't any rain but is sure made the rest of my walk less cheerful. I was is need of recharging my vitamin D reserves.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

It's not just an American obsession. Canadians do it too, a lot. And we watch the weather network, too, not just for quick check ins, but actually watch.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't know why I am obsessed with the weather too and my husband is even worse about it!
good thinking to have the husband get the embroidery thread before he leaves - you need to save on prices when you can!

Christelle said...

I had an obsession with the weather when I was in the States because of the strength of the bad weather tropical storm, tornados etc I was so impressed. Weather can be bad here but not that bad and not so often.

Donna quilts said...

I have to laugh about Cathy's comment - but she's right about us Canadians watching the weather network! It's good to hear that the templates are making your storm at sea quilt come together easily. It's disappointing when you buy a tool and it turns out to be useless.