Saturday, September 21, 2019

Better Late...Even if the Deadline Was Last Year

I missed the quilt retreat in October of 2018 due to my niece's wedding. I also missed completing the challenge assigned to everyone in May of 2018. I am going to make the 2019 October retreat so I have been working on completing the challenge. 

We were given four fat quarters to do with as we pleased. 



Almost immediately I thought of taking artwork used for carving pumpkins and making a silhouette wall hanging.


I enlarged the artwork 200-percent.

I added fabrics from my stash to make strips of oranges, golds and yellows. I started with 1-1/2 strips but decided to reduce them by half an inch after sewing most of them together.


I now have the piece all fused together and ready for top stitching which I will do as I quilt it. 


I'm making good progress on my "Sparklers" quilt. I finished stitching all the areas requiring white thread. Below is a detail of how I worked out marking stitching in the white stars. 

                            

A  little detail of the large white stars below...


I am ready to switch to red thread and have my quilting plan worked out for those areas.


Will I get it done in time for show and tell at Thursday's Breakfast club?
 I don't think so but I'll keep trying.

4 comments:

Donna quilts said...

Your pumpkin carving idea is such a brilliant idea! It will make a great wall hanging for Halloween. Your sparklers quilt is looking good, too. Looking forward to seeing it all finished.

Mary said...

I love the idea of using the pumpkin carving artwork for the quilt. It turned out great.

Ramona said...

I love your Halloween challenge wall hanging! What a great idea for the fabrics you received. The quilting on your Sparklers quilt is gorgeous. You are really making that quilt shine.

Harini said...

I totally adore quilting and this looks too good!