Friday, June 1, 2012

Extremely Quick


This is the first time I ever completed the blocks for a quilt top of any size in one day. I came home from Breakfast Club (which runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. plus) and finished sewing the second half of blocks and had this on the design wall right before bedtime. This top takes 40 strips (I used a bali pop) and 32 layer cakes. I stayed pretty true to the pattern's photo. Here is a photo of one of my Club buddies quilt, Carol got her's made before class. 


Carol's version was made with one background fabric in place of  the layer cakes. She made a smaller version and centered the design. Next is a very similar quilt but done completely in strips. This is Bobbie's quilt she made entirely from her scraps....she claims she didn't even make a dent in her scrap pile.


I wasn't quite ready to call to my blocks done and start sewing rows together...there were two blocks in my version that were really bugging me...the ones with the palest blue triangles. Instead of giving the quilt a little pop...they just screamed "not right." Sew...out came the seam ripper after a trip through my all important stash. It's sew necessary to have an extensive stash for just these kinds of situations. 


Much better. This will finish to a 70" square. I don't have any idea what I will do after this...borders? You know I will have to think about it for a while.

5 comments:

Shari said...

Congratulations on your finished quilt top in a day. Do you really need a border? And good fix - the light fabric almost reads as white and just didn't work.

Unknown said...

I really like your version. I like the others as well, thanks for showing them. I say no borders, unless you really want to make it bigger, it's great the way it is.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't think a quilt always needs a border - in this case I think it looks fine as it is.
Karen

shannon said...

congrats on the quick flimsy.

i didn't notice the lighter fabrics...and i agree- if you don't think it needs a border, then don't.

Anonymous said...

I mistakenly ordered a layer cake and jelly roll and wasn't sure how I was going to use them. This is beautiful. Where can I find the pattern?