Friday, April 26, 2013

Granville, Normandie

We were so lucky to have a third day of sunshine for our trip to Granville. This is a city right off the English channel with a bustling bay.





We spent most of our time in the Old Town which is a fortification built on a rocky headland by the English in the 15th century. (Yes....I got that right...the English built this fortification...they held this land on and off for several hundred years.) I love this look...the natural rock with a wall built on top of it...too bad we've already built our "dream" house because I would want a wall like this in my house.


A drawbridge would be so awesome to have also!!!


Just can't get enough of rustic walls...then mix in some lovely landscaping.


There was an old church close to the top-most section of town. Inside was a side chapel for the Catholic saint who looks over the fishermen...sorry I forgot to take a photo. The church has new stained glass windows (Installed in the  late 1950s) which were very interesting...mostly clear with a picture created with the stained glass. I have no idea why I didn't take a picture of some of them...they reminded me of Cubism artwork. The predominance of clear glass helped the church interior to be bright. Guess I will need to go back someday!


On our walk I spied so many quirky doors to the basements of buildings...these little things remind me of the Harry Potter books. Living in an older, European city has shown me where J.K. Rowling came up with her imagery.


Lucky us...an antique market was in progress in the middle of town.


This table would be perfect in my Alaska dining room...I'm only bringing back this image. Just for reference...it was $880 euros...$1145 in US. 


One more market photo.


I'll share more photos of my actual chateau experience next time.

3 comments:

Donna quilts said...

Loved your photos! That quirky basement door ...I can just imagine the dampness and spiders that would be lurking inside!

Karen L. said...

After viewing so many of your photos, I almost feel like I have been to France. Just an FYI although I don't think you are near here but there is a special Dear Jane exhibit in Nantes, France which will have a collection of Dear Jane quilts on display. There will also be vendors with everything related to fabric, thread, quilting, knitting, embroidery, etc. It's called Pour Lamour Du Fil. Check out Bonnie Hunter's blog post for her write up. Oh and it is this weekend so probably not doable for you but maybe?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love these photos - that little door is so cute! thanks for sharing these it really gives your readers more of sense of what is in the country besides Paris!