As I was sewing on the first border I had a thought...probably would have been better to measure the pieced second border before adding the first border. It was a good thought...just should have happened earlier in the process.
Here's where I am at.
I've added the first border which is the navy blue batik. Now the pieced border is 3/4 of an inch too short. (There are coordinating corner blocks).
Up to this point I had no issues with the pattern directions...they were great! Here's how the directions say to handle the joining of these two borders, "Adjust seams of pieced border if needed." Hysterical!
So I am having some dark chocolate and coffee while I contemplate a solution that will hopefully not involve a seam ripper. I actually have enough navy batik to cut another border plus a dark brown batik that was included for the leaf appliques that I decided to do without. Ultimately I will be required to do math...darn! I bought a kit so I wouldn't have to do math...or thinking.