Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2010 Quilts in Review Countdown Continued

Today's quilt, "God's Green Earth," is very special to me...it started out as a way to use up the remains of two bali pops I had used for another top (haven't finished that top yet - UFO that will get done in 2011). I'm fairly new to longarm quilting. I have an 18-inch Nolting Fun Quilter. With this quilt I had a breakthrough in my longarm abilities. I sketched out my quilting design and used circle templates. I love the result but it will be hard for you to see because the fabrics are batiks.


I did pebbling for the first time...batiks are a great playground...my imperfections are not obvious.

God's Green Earth


The quilt design is from Laurie J. Shifrin's book, "Batik Beauties," and is titled Native Rainbow.  This was Ms. Shifrin's first book and since then she has released two more. I am a batikaholic so her books are required reading. "Batik Beauties," is out of print but I got my copy on EBAY. I searched for quite a while because sometimes it sold for much more the I wanted to pay ($50-$70). I got my copy for $23.



Tomorrow...another favorite quilt.

1 comment:

Laurie Shifrin said...

Hi Debbie. It was fun to see your version of my Native Rainbow pattern - I love your color choices and that border is wonderful! Thanks for the nice words about my books. I wanted to let you and your readers know that I do have some copies of Batik Beauties available, and I have just re-issued the Native Rainbow pattern as an individual pattern. They'll be available in September. You can check out my other patterns from Laurie Shifrin Designs at laurieshifrindesign.wordpress.com