Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday...What?

I can't believe it's already Wednesday...
Not much quilting going on but lots of dog walking....which is very meditative for me and I have worked out some quilt design issues while walking. I did start quilting my Iditaquilt with the silver toned thread. Good so far. I need to work in my second color and really wanted to do that today but now time is running out...

Still waiting on the mail lady to deliver the third color of thread which is the predominant thread I'm using. I am doubling my batting again. I just love how it makes the quilting pop!

I played bunko on Friday and took a carrot cake. Yummy. It was a recipe I haven't made in 15 years. I have a few carrot cake recipes and each has its own distinctive taste.  This one has crushed pineapple in it. The orange peel in the frosting is another differing ingredient. Altogether a more fruity cake. 

Carrot Cake
4 eggs
½ cup sour cream
1 cup salad oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
2 tsps each baking powder and ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
2 cups shredded carrots
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, drained

In a large bowl, beat eggs until blended; add oil and sugar, beating until thoroughly mixed. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add to egg mixture, stirring just until blended; the mix in carrots, nuts and pineapple.

Pour batter into a greased and flour dusted 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350* oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool and invert onto a rack to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter (1/2 cup) - softened
1 large block of cream cheese (8oz) - softened
1 box confection sugar (I used most of a 32 oz bag of confection sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp grated orange peel

In a bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese and butter with orange peel; beat until smooth. Add 1 tsp vanilla. Slowly add confection sugar ½ cup at a time and beat in until smooth. Add at least 2 cups.  (I think I used 3 cups of sugar but kept adding sugar until I determined when the frosting was the right consistency for me).

I didn't think about a photo and of course the cake has long been gone...I need to take my camera every where...right...what kind of blogger am I?

No comments: