Sunday, November 11, 2012

Houston Quilt Show Recap

I did a horrible job of accounting for my trip to the Houston International Quilt Show.  I could have taken hundreds of photos but realized that would be silly so I stuck with just a few. First,  for Karen at Quilts Etc... here's a photo of a booth's quilt sample of Edyita Star's "Common Bride." 


Karen has started this quilt...she's very good at staying on task but I hope this finished beauty adds to her incentive to finish. Karen also mentioned I look out for an Australian designer's work.  I didn't find much from Australia there...it was very disappointing. 

I didn't get a photo but there was a special display of French quilts copied after early American quilts. I took the opportunity to introduce myself to two ladies who traveled with the exhibit. They gave me a website to check out and showed me on my Paris map where there is a gathering place for quilters...walking distance from our apartment. Very exciting.

I didn't meet up with as many people as I had hoped but I had a great time. It's a busy place and very crowded in the vendor section. Now for what you really want to know...what did I buy?

I splurged on two batik kits...both with a star motif.



I was completely entranced by a booth that had felt balls used in pincushion designs. I've got a lot of pincushions to make.


My mother-in-law met up with me for one day at the show and she bought me this sweet book.


I also bought EQ7 for my new laptop...it was $40 off the regular price at the show.


I started worrying about what I forgot to ship for my Paris sewing room so along the way I bought lots of notions. My favorite deal was Creative Grids rulers. If you bought three you got 15% off plus a little gift. The regular prices were much lower than quilt shops in Alaska so I feel like it was a major deal.


I will share a few photos of quilts in the show another day.

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks so much for posting the photos! I do plan on sticking with Common Bride and as soon as I get the binding on Joseph's Coat it is coming back out of the basket to get work on it.
Someone posted a whole blog post on the French Quilters that copied the quilts from the 1800's and all the work was by hand - they looked wonderful. I hope you look up a French group of quilters to meet and work with. That will be fun for you.

Luann said...

I'm working on Common Bride now. I love batiks and this is an awesome quilt.
So nice to hear you've made it safely to Paris. Enjoy yourself and spend time with your husband!

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,

Always enjoy your blog. Looking forward to your adventures in Paris. Can you tell me the name of the felt pincushion company. They look really neat. Do they have a web site.

Have a great day.

Dianne in Canada

Unknown said...

Hi Debbie! lucky you to attend the Houston show! Wish i could have gone!! I just picked up a copy of EQ 7 too...now to figure out who to use it! I also look forward to your blog and seeing what's going on in Paris!!
~karen