Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Design Dilemmas

I've accomplished all my holiday chores except for a little cleaning and cooking. So my mind has turned to my monthly quilt club meeting, The Breakfast Club, which falls on Dec. 30th. It is usually the last Thursday of the month and we tackle a new quilt pattern every month. Most of our projects have revolved around 2-1/2 inch strips but not all. I usually get my tops done and sometimes even quilted before the next meeting but I'm getting behind. I've been working on the October quilt the last two meetings. October's quilt is from Kim Brackett's book, "Scrap-Basket Surprises." It's the book's cover quilt, Bali Sea Star. I have all of the blocks pieced.


But...as I was laying out the blocks on my design wall I discovered a way to connect the background stars. I drew it out on EQ7.


But...this means taking apart the blocks I've already made as each 12-inch star block is made-up of 4, 6-in blocks. I love this layout and have designed a quilt for future use with this block. I have been growing a stash of snowflake inspired batiks and a border print with silhouettes of dogsleds. The dogsleds will go around the center where the teal blue is.



But...back to October's quilt. I think I have finally come up with a design I like.


I don't think I'll have it done in 7 days but I sure feel a lot closer.


2 comments:

Diane said...

the extra work will be worth it I think!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you get done with a lot - all of you if you do a quilt a month! love the design.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/