Tuesday, April 27, 2021

April Finishes

Remnants of snow but mostly spring has officially arrived.

I finished quilting the Bigfoot quilt.

I had lots of fun with this one.

This will be gift...my son is going to LOVE this quilt!

I finished the set of twelve ornaments from Bucilla, a vintage kit from 1991.

The periwinkle blue from from Mill Hill is perfect for the Winter Wonderland kit. 

The hardest decision is always what to start next...

I’m going with two Bucilla stocking kits, one vintage and one an updated version recently released.

Sometimes I get lucky...I managed to snag this extremely rare cross stitch kit on eBay that was designed by Sandra Cozzolino.  There are at least three more kits in this series I will keep hunting. I do have two of the patterns which another stitcher shared with me but the kits have the charms which are not always easy to find. 

I am just a little over a week away from a Material Girls retreat. I have no idea what I am going to tackle but there are any number of UFOs that could attend the retreat with me...but it is so much more fun to start new projects.

Friday, April 9, 2021

April Snow Showers

I just want to make others feel great about their weather...cuz here in Eagle River, Alaska...we are still getting snow...and we already had plenty. It snowed most of yesterday and our temperature dropped to -6 this morning.

We are breaking records for the coldest March and April.

Woo Hoo!

 Might as well make our mark in history for something other than COVID related stats.

I have finished the cross stitching on my latest Mill Hill kit.
Time to add the beads and a little backstitching.

I've been alternating between my cross stitch project and my Bucilla project in the evenings.
Two more ornaments completed...very fun to have Santa's face hidden on the backside.

I did some quilting on pieces for the bag I am working on...wow...lots of preparatory work involved in this project. One of my orders that included the vinyl never showed up so I am awaiting the replacement package and then I can start making this bag.

 I'm trying very hard to stay on task and not get intimated.

I actually have a Sew-in Saturday tomorrow with my Material Girls retreat group...it doesn't take much to get me excited. I prepped the first border for my Sky Full of stars quilt and also spent some time with the EQ8 program determining additional borders to make this a king size quilt. 

So much for fighting my mysterious inner need to make every quilt bigger! 
Original size...64 x 80-inches.
My version, 104 x104-inches.

And while I was playing with EQ8...and awaiting vinyl...I started playing with ideas for borders on "Royal Gardens." I spent a lot of time in Pinterest trying to get a scrappy border idea. I found an idea that I think will be easy and accomplish the look I want.

The original finished size was 65 x 83-inches. This is a bit bigger, 83 x 100-inches. I think this will hang in my bedroom as I already have a king size quilt that will look great with this quilt! 

I'm very excited about my border additions. I managed simple solutions...no complex piecing but it gives me the scrappy look I want.