Monday, May 16, 2011

Design Wall Monday

I finished my version of Kim Brackett's, Snail Takes a Detour from "Scrap Basket Surprises." 


Too big for the design wall...78x88. All the teeth around the inner border were made from the scraps of the stitch and flip method to make the HSTs for the main blocks...212 pairs of triangles were needed to make a 1 1/4-inch finished square. I had to do math to figure out the surrounding borders since the rest of the the quilt is based on 2 1/2-inch strips that finish at two inches. I almost feel as frugal as Bonnie Hunter. The best news is I got my math right! Story problems were always my weakest skill in the math department.

I also want to point out the corners of the piano key border...they are partial log cabin blocks. I saw that on Thelma's blog at  Cupcakes "n" Daisies. That will become my default corner block for piano key borders.

Now I really need to take some time to quilt on Marta...so hard to spend hours on the longarm when the weather is so temperate outside.


The leaves are popping out on the birch trees! 

I  really going to get going on my own design...


Remember these fabrics?


Made my sample blocks...


Almost done cutting...just need the border blocks.


Here's a  peek at my design. I'm planning some applique in the two side strips...fish to mimic the theme fabric.
I've named this quilt, Talkeetna Trek. Talkeetna is my husband's favorite king salmon fishing hole. It is one of the most beautiful towns in Alaska. Talkeetna River and Susitna River converge on the town's border and give you a magnificent view of Mt. McKinley. Pictures never do it justice. The Kings start running in late June so once again I feel like I'm working with a time schedule based on Alaska calendar events.

12 comments:

Lynette said...

What a beautiful scrap quilt! I love the partial log-cabin corners - how clever, to get away from having to miter. And your Talkeetna design looks amazing.

Kathy Schwartz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LuAnn said...

Beautiful quilts. I love the fabrics you've used. I'm going to remember those corners on the piano key border. Really looks good!

Kathy Schwartz said...

The Snail Takes A Detour looks fantastic in batiks! I like the look of the partial log cabin in the corners, really finished the border nicely.
Your birch trees are ahead of ours...only green buds so far.
(I deleted the above post due to typos)

Jane said...

What a beautiful quilt! Your border & corners look great. I read Thelma's blog, too. Doesn't she make wonderful quilts?

Vicki W said...

I love your snails trail and the new quilt is going to be beautiful!

Amy said...

I too love the snails quilt. I really like the colors you picked.

Baker_ia said...

Ohh that is a great idea for the corner of your quilt I may have to steal it. I just finished a quilt with the piano key border and I did a square in the corner I like the idea of the log cabin type block. Thanks for the idea

Kim Brackett said...

Wow, Debbie! I love your version of this quilt. The half-square triangles and the piano key border are gorgeous! And your Talkeetna Trek quilt is stunning. You're really good at designing quilts!

Rabid Quilter from California said...

Love your scrap basket surprises! That saw tooth border is wonderful! Making all those half-square triangles is a pain but it's always worth it!

Kate said...

Beautiful projects both of them!

Gari in AL said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I do understand wanting to be outside and to quilt. I usually will do 2-3 passes on the machine and then take a book break out on the deck. Then back in for 2-3 passes and another break. I don't quilt for anyone but me so if it takes a little longer, so be it.