Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Into the Raging Water - Jesus, Take The Wheel


I hadn't heard of Carrie Underwood's song, "Jesus Take The Wheel," until this trip. (I get all my music from Jazzercise routines.) Riding rapids on the Colorado River can intensify your relationship with God. I wasn't the only one in our party who felt that way. 



Meet the two, ten-year-old's on the trip. In the Bailey family we called them Huck and Tom because they sure reminded us of two other great adventurers,  Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. Zman on the left, Huck in the middle, T.S. on the right. (I like the initials for Tom Sawyer better, a little modern twist to the story.)

T.S.'s family boat was right behind ours on the Crystal rapid ride. His dad, our fearless leader, started this whole expedition by winning a permit to raft a private trip on the Colorado River. His sister is Ballerina Girl. His mom, trip photographer...she earns her call sign a few days later. 

First, we have to get through Crystal. This is when T.S. asks for a little divine help as his family enters Crystal Rapid. I found out after they made it to the bottom, still riding in their boat, that this phrase, "Jesus take the wheel," concluded the family prayer as they entered the rapid. T.S. felt moved by the moment.

It's those spontaneous sayings that stick with you in life's journey. Thanks T.S. I'll try and tell that story at your rehearsal dinner someday. (I hope I get an invite...please don't get married at a Colorado River location. There are lots of other great locations to have a wedding. Hawaii is really lovely anytime.)

No comments: