Monday, July 8, 2013

Design Wall Monday

I have a design wall...yep...made it this weekend.


It's a biggie-sized design wall. It started out as three sheets of insulation, each 4 x 8 feet.


The quilting goddess  was with me when I went to JoAnns...I found 9 yards of a cream felt...and I had my 40%-off coupon plus a coupon for 10%-off my total purchase. Sweet! I used three yards to cover each board. I made sure to put the blank side of the insulation toward the fabric so no funny images would not shadow through the felt.


I used an adhesive spray on the insulation board to adhere the felt.


Here you can see the back side of the boards.


I wrapped the fabric to the back and secured with white duct tape.


Then I covered the icky back side with some felt I had on hand by duct taping it...I had just enough to cover the pink panther. The boards are not mounted to the wall so they are mobile...I can slide them all together or space them next to each other.


Here's a quick detail of how I handled the corners.


I had an extremely productive weekend. Next I tackled mounting curtain rods for display quilts throughout my home. The Judy Niemeyer quilt, North American Bear Paw is right beside my husband's bear rug mounted on the stairway wall...I thought that was an appropriate location for this quilt.


I don't have any landscaping but I do have flowers blooming.


This is "God's Green Earth," in my breakfast nook...love my new additions.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

There's nothing like a quilt hanging on a wall, or 2 or 3, to make a house look like a home. Your quilts are gorgeous!

Jill said...

Thanks for tutorial on making a nice design wall. I like the use of curtain rods for hanging quilts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks lovely! wish I had room for a design wall - maybe one day.

Suz J said...

Great design wall - the bigger the better, and still, they never seem quite big enough! Looks like you designed your house with plenty of big walls perfect for quilt display purposes.

Donna quilts said...

Wow! Your quilts look great hanging throughout your home. Good idea for a design wall especially that you can make it as large or small as you need it.

CathieJ said...

I have got to get around to hanging my quilts. You've inspired me to get going on that.