Saturday, August 31, 2013

Most Dreaded Chore

I detest making backings for quilts. That's what I did last week.

I pieced six backings.



I ordered wide backings for three large quilts. I would love to get all nine quilted before I leave in November...it could happen!

I also went to the Alaska State Fair. If you aren't familiar with Alaskan agriculture...we are known for gigantic vegetables. We have a short but intense growing season because of the increased sunlight during the summer months. I got to see the prize-winning pumpkin...a mere 1,182 pounds.


This pumpkin weighed 1,289 pounds but was disqualified because it had a hole.


I walked through a perennial garden at the fair that was like a jungle! I saw this plant which was at least six-feet tall with these gorgeous burgundy flowers. There were no name tags...any idea what the name of this plant is? 


No bear sightings lately but I often see moose. This mom and calf were crossing a road I have to drive that is under major construction. I know it's hard to see them...they blend in perfectly with the brown dirt.

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have gotten a lot of quilt tops done! good luck on the quilting. I have seen a little of the vegetation in Alaska when we went 10 years or so ago on a cruise that stopped in various ports - at one place I couldn't believe the size of the rhubarb - gigantic! Also some of the most amazing flowers.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, Im so glad that I'm not the only one!! I HATE putting backs together!!! But all your quilts are so gorgeous - I bet it feels good to have backs done!! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.