Monday, October 21, 2013

This Week

Another completed quilt! Sweet! This is one I started in May and of course...made changes to the original pattern that made it sooo much bigger. Then I thought up a quilting design that required holding acrylic templates in place...slows down my quilt-stitching rhythm. I washed it yesterday and it puckered up very nicely. I did my standard double batting...I like having a little heavier quilt for Alaska...plus it really helps show off the quilting design.


 Reveille Blues -  64 x 71 1/2"

Quilting on my midarm, Marta, goes so much better when I have new needles...those are things I can't run out and buy....I always have to send away for longarm supplies. I love titanium needles for my midarm and my domestic sewing machine. They are gold in color, extra sharp and great for the higher thread count of  batiks which is pretty much the only fabric I work with anymore.


I had lunch with my youngest son, Zack. He totaled his truck a few weeks ago and just got this white one. He's a little scruffy...he works as a small airplane mechanic so he is chronically covered in grease!


Good thing he doesn't read my blog because as usual...he didn't want me to take his picture! I'm going out to eat almost every day this week...trying to cram in lots of visits with friends and my sons before I leave...three weeks left in Alaska.

On my way home I had to stop in one of my favorite quilt shops in Anchorage, the Quilted Tree. Right in the front door were bolts of Hoffman batiks that had just arrived. Torture Me! I don't need anymore fabric but it was impossible for me to leave without a package of the latest Bali pops and some coordinating yardage. Do I have plan for these? Sort of!


It took me three days of doodling but I finally have a quilt design figured out for my next top and it is loaded and ready to go. Breakfast Club is Thursday...hopefully I will have this quilt done in time for show and tell!




3 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow! Look at you go! you're getting so much done. I'm really curious to see what you do with those fabrics you just bought. And of course you had to buy them as a reward for getting so much done. I find sometimes that the doodling and the brainstorming for quilting designs can often take as much, if not more, time than the actual quilting.

Béa said...

I love your Reveille Blues, wonderful !

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your quilts and at times I feel like getting rid of all my fabric and starting over again with only Batiks - but it doesn't really make sense to me to waste all my fabric so I guess I just need to use it up :)
Cute looking son! and he is carry on the tradition of working with airplanes I see.
Do you feel those needles work better with all machines and fabric or mainly with batiks? I have not developed a favorite but understand what you mean about having to order things on line.