Friday, December 13, 2013

Big Ben

Where in the world is Debbie? 


London! So far two days of great weather. Bit wet today. 

It may seem a bit obvious, but it is very nice to speak the local language! The first day in town I was on my own as hubby was in a conference all day. We started out staying at a hotel at Heathrow airport. So I had to learn how to make my way into London from there...very easy when you speak the local language. In Paris the subway is the metro...in London, the underground. (I feel like I'm looking for an after-hours club when I ask where to find the underground.)

My schedule was overly ambitious the first day. I had planned to visit an art museum, Courtauld Gallery, and Westminster Abby. The art museum was empty so I spent more time than anticipated there and just enjoyed! (There will be other trips to London so no frantic rush on this visit.) Like Paris...the "tourist" attractions are centrally located and easily walked.

The Courtauld Gallery has a wonderful collection that spans the Middle Ages to the 20th Century...a small number of paintings but fabulous representations of some of the biggies. Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Rubens, Manet, Monet, Degas, Van Gogh and Picasso. 

Yesterday we made out way to a London hotel my husband had seen highlighted on business channels, ACE Hotel. Designed with the young business traveler in mind. This is exactly what our room looks like.


It's very comfortable and has...free high speed internet. That is rare! We love it...I definitely feel on the older end of this crowd.

We did a lot of walking since it was another sunny day. (Hubby was catching up from being in the conference.) Got my all-important souvenir, a London-themed Swatch.


We finished the day with a show I have been wanting to see for 10 years...


"Wicked"
Wickedly Good!

2 comments:

Donna quilts said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time! Love the watches!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

how neat to see new things! yes most likely a little more comfortable doing that with your own language! looking forward to your postings on what you see.