Monday, January 18, 2016

Aloha from Hanalei, Kauai

We have been soaking up lots of sunshine. We tried out a new cottage for our trip. We are just on the outskirts of this small north shore town, Hanalei.


There are only 5 cottages placed along the side of a small river. This is our lanai (outdoor patio)...where we spend most of the day.


Our big entertainment is watching paddle-boarders and kayakers make their way up and down the calm waters of this river. We have hardly driven since this private cabin is very close to the tiny downtown area where we have several great restaurants and shopping.


There is a fantastic little quilt shop on Kauai, Kapaia Stitchery. I bought a kit for this adorable baby turtle quilt...mostly batiks. The shop has a custom turtle batik manufactured just for their shop. You can see it in the outer boarder of this quilt. I bought extra of that turtle batik for a quilt of my own design that I worked while on this vacation.


Before I left home, I did finish the staining projects. My thread/ironing cabinet is stained on the drawer fronts and painted on the sides and back. I will be adding the padded top when I get home. I cannot wait to get this project done and start using it!


Here is my husband's office cabinet and desk. Really awesome. Still a bit of work to do in this space to get it ready for him. Most importantly...getting a little television mounted on the wall he faces while sitting at the desk. A major project will be going through all of his Air Force pictures...mostly pictures of airplanes...and getting them hung on the walls. In the military it is referred to as an, "I love me wall."


Another view of the desk front...the drawers have reclaimed wood scraps from our main flooring. Those double doors lead to my magic room.


Just one more night in paradise. We have had glorious weather...it only rained at night. Exceptionally great for January on the north shore of Kauai. In Alaska there has also been pretty nice weather. They got about 4 inches of snow...just enough to make everything pretty and light again. They have also had lots of sunshine...but only for about 5 hours a day...but getting more everyday as we build up to our 20 plus hours of it in June.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I wondered why you were away from blogging and had forgotten that you said you were going to Hawaii - I have never been there - the only state I have not gone to - we really need to go one day - you will need to give recommendations on where to stay - like the address of this place! looks great.

Ramona said...

I've been to that wonderful quilt shop on Kauai a number of times! Their batiks are great! Safe travels when you head home.

Donna quilts said...

I, too, was wondering where you had disappeared to! How nice to break up the cold winter with a trip to Hawaii. I hope you have a safe trip home.

Dawn said...

Glad you have had a nice break and even more special to find such a lovely shop. I'm sure we kayaked up that river when we were in Kauai, so beautiful and peaceful. Looks like you have lots of projects when you get home. Safe travels xxx

Kate said...

Hope you enjoyed your vacation in the sunshine and had a good trip home. Hawaii is on the radar, but probably not till the teenager graduates.