Sunday, July 21, 2019

A Little of Everything

We finished our tourist trip with a couple of days in Whittier. We did a glacier tour of Prince William Sound. Below is a photo of Surprise Glacier. The glacier does a lot of calving so that is how it got its name and it did give us a nice little show.


The next day we went on a halibut fishing charter with Crazy Rays. There were 12 of us on the boat and 11 of us brought home a halibut. I was the last one to get mine and it was a biggie, 90 to 100 pounds.


No way could I pick up this sucker. The boat had rod holders but I still needed my husband to hold the rod in place while I used both hands to reel. The fish was 400 feet below the boat. It took forever to reel it in...it was much more difficult than I thought it would be.


We have been breaking a lot of records for high temperatures this summer. It has been a real chore to keep everything watered. I did some artichokes as ornamental plants in pots. They are doing great. 


My garden is out of control but in a good way!


Not sure if I will do zucchini and yellow squash again. The plants get so big and my husband doesn't care for them.


Harvested a batch of squashes and some beets.
 We had zucchini noodles with our marinara sauce last night. I liked it more than hubby.



Tonight I am making a salad that has some spiral zucchini in it. 
I know hubby likes zucchini in that recipe. 


I could share of ton beautiful flower pictures...they all look so great this summer.

Despite all the wonderful hot and sunny weather, I have spent time on some handwork pieces. 

Making great progress on a Plaid Bucilla stocking, "Snow Princess."


Finished a Jim Shore snowman ornament, " Snowman with Lights."


Added the border to the second quilt top, "Spumoni Spin."


And I got a few of my older Bucilla stockings lined with cotton Christmas fabrics. I learned this technique through a Bucilla Facebook group. This extra lining process really adds nice body to the finished stocking.


It is always good to write a blog post and see that I really have gotten some projects done.

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your vegetables and flowers are beautiful! I wish mine were like that I have a horrible time doing veggies the last couple years and our summers are too hot to do really nice flowers. I have not thought to try artichoke as an ornamental.
I had to show my husband the photo of your fish - my god that is huge!! I guess that will make a few meals.

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

I wish I could see a glacier one day. Your garden is beautiful :)

My blog

Rebecca said...

About the zucks.... if they get away from you this year I have been known to use them instead of cucumbers to make pickle relish and there is always the so so accommodating chow chow.

I also have a pintrest board called Zucchini Gods...lol

Sally said...

I've never lined my Bucilla stockings but I may need to do so....It appears your summer has been jam-packed....thanks for sharing with us all down in the Lower 48.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

WOW!!! What an awesome fishing trip!! that is a HUGE fish!!

Mary said...

That was an exciting trip. I can't believe the size of the fish you caught!

Your garden is looking beautiful. My vegetables, especially my tomatoes are not doing as well this summer. The heat has been brutal here in the Northeast.