Wednesday, October 21, 2020

October Material Girls Quilt Retreat Projects

 Last weekend was my first quilt outing since last February's, Material Girls retreat.

 It was so much fun. 

Here’s a look at the projects I worked on this last weekend.

At our last retreat in February, I made these butterfly blocks so I started this retreat by finishing the top!

 This was a charm pattern, "Madame Butterfly," from the book, "Charm School," by Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique. My scrappy border was the only change I made to the quilt pattern. I used layer cakes so there were enough scraps to make the 3 1/2-inch long strips for the border.


I started two new quilts from patterns and fabrics that have been aging in my stash.

 I had a Hoffman Bali layer cake, Parrot, and the pattern, "Birthday Cake," from the book, "Perfect 10 Quilts," by It's Sew Emma. 



I am adding another row to the pattern so I added some layer cakes from my stash.

The additional row will add 12 more blocks for a total of 48. I finished 23 blocks....just one shy of the  halfway point.


And on the third day I started a third project.



I finished all the center blocks for the pattern, "Royal Gardens," from Cozy Quilt Designs. This pattern was designed as a block-of-the-month. It comes with instructions for two sizes based on 2-inch or 2 1/2-inch strips. I am doing the smaller version with 2-inch strips.


And at every retreat there is a bit of retail therapy.

I picked up a few more fabrics for my stash...


and a panel I just couldn't resist.


I even continued with my weekend productivity when I got home by completing the last Santa on Sunday night from the Antarctica Santa series, Albatross Santa.

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks like you have been very busy - glad you are getting a chance to get out - love your quilts

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sounds like a fun time - that butterfly is really really pretty!

Sally said...

Goodness, those Santas really make me happy! I really need to start on the one set that I have...it's a set of nautical themed Santas....

Your choice of fabrics for your quilts is always spot-on! Love seeing your projects!

Suz J said...

Woohoo! You were really productive at your retreat... Love it when that happens. And some great new patterns and projects.

Lynette said...

What a fantastic group of projects! Love your butterfly top. And those blocks for the Birthday Cake pattern (which is really great) also look super cool the way you have them in this photo.

Mary said...

Wow you got a lot accomplished on your quilting retreat. I love the new quilt patterns you are sewing.