Tuesday, March 23, 2021

March Projects

 I am patting myself on the back for making some great progress on my projects the last 10 days...hmmmm...wonder if that means my housework has been a little ignored. Oh well!


I keep looking for that perfect top pattern that only takes me a couple of hours to make and fits great. I was pretty close on this top but I don’t see any benefit to the black insert other than color variation. I have trouble fitting my broad shoulders for pull over tops...if the shoulder area fits...the rest of the top is huge. This design has a raglan sleeve cut and that works better for me. I bumped up a size for my shoulders but trimmed each side by 2-3 inches.


I also finished my granddaughter’s dress...though I will wait to hem it when I see her later this week.


The smocking was the easy part...the dress construction was a challenge. The bishop collar design makes it pretty flexible for sizing so I am confident the dress will be on the big side for her.


I got all 25 blocks sewn together for the top, “Sky Full of Stars.” I even have a wide back piece of fabric in my stash that might work. I still need to add some borders and I have part of that planned...still thinking about how to actually finish this top.

 

One more block was added to the bonus project with the leftover HSTs. I need to figure out the border finish before touching any of the leftover white background fabric. That means I need to finish the big top before pecking away on this little quilt.


Two more little ornaments finished in my current Bucilla kit. These are tiny...together...both fit in the palm of my hand.


And several nights I stitched on my latest Mill Hill kit. Still lots of snow at my house so this feels like the appropriate season to work on this project. 

That "spring forward" business with the clock always messes with my mind and body. Extra cup of coffee in the afternoon was required several days. My international pilot husband thinks it is very funny how a one hour time change wrecks me for weeks...it is pathetic...but I just kept telling myself to focus on projects. Of course I had to rip out the first two rows of the smocking...had to rip out the embroidered faces on the Bucilla ornaments...lots of ripping out to get those 25 blocks sewn together. Lots of bonding with several seam rippers throughout my house this past week. 

5 comments:

Sally said...

Well, I am quite impressed with your progress! Those quilted projects just make me smile. I really must try that pattern myself! Thanks so much for sharing your art with us....it really is inspiring!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I am with you, the jump in time an hour messes with me for weeks as well. I am not getting up on time, I'm hungry at the wrong times, go to bed too early then can't get to sleep. Ugh!! I do wish they would just pick a time and keep it, std or daylight, I don't care, just pick one.
Your projects look wonderful. It is great that we can sew and make our clothes fit the way we want.

Ramona said...

The time change messes with me, too, especially the older I get. I love the smocked dress you made for your granddaughter. I look forward to getting my pleater going once I’ve moved. Those ornaments are so cute and tiny! You have been very busy!

Mary said...

I am the same with the hour time change. It really throws me off for awhile too.
The dress turned out so pretty. I am sure you will be thrilled to see her soon.

Suz J said...

The black sections in the top probably help to create the illusion of appearing smaller... which it sounds like you don't need in the hip/stomach area. Have you tried the pattern with darker sleeves? I also am rather broad through the shoulders and small hipped... and the darker raglan sleeves really minimises the focus of the broadness. Really love those star quilts too.