Tuesday, October 19, 2021

October Retreat

I'm back from a four-day retreat where I sewed on lots of fun projects.

My first project was to add borders to my last retreat quilt top. I have a specific wall I want to hang this quilt on so it needed several borders to make it fit.


Next, I decided to start a row of blocks from the book by Lori Holt, "Sew by Row."


These scissor blocks were pretty challenging. So my next project was simple, mindless stitching. I made 156 flying geese for a Moda Frivols kit. We each received a Frivols kit as a gift at our retreat in May and our challenge is to have the kit done by our February retreat. 


Remember, we all pretty much stop sewing during the summer months, so several of us were starting our kits at this retreat. 


After all that mindless sewing I decided to tackle the charm quilt, Chandelier from the book, "Charm School." This was a super quick quilt to put together, which finishes at 60-inches square. I have some scarps left that might have to become a Seminole border. 



Then Sunday morning I had a few hours before I had to leave so I made the pincushion blocks for the second row of the Lori Holt pattern. 

It was one of the easiest retreats to prep for since I had cut all the kits for these projects a month ago! And I still have two kits cut out that I didn't touch. 

I think I got a little inspired by watching Floss Tube videos by cross stitchers who seem to have lots of kits prepped...almost as soon as they buy a pattern. I looked at my huge stash of fabric...half of which I did buy for specific projects that I had the patterns for so I just started making kits. I'm going to continue with this process. I haven't even made a dent in my stash.

Now if I could just get better about quilting my tops! Loading the quilts on the frame is definitely where the hold up is.

3 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

All your projects are coming along nicely! I have some mindless binding to do this weekend, and I need the rest.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like that Chandelier quilt, I have seen several in blog land and they all look so pretty - the scissors look challenging

Suz J said...

Yes, I love that chandelier quilt too, it really does look like multicoloured glass beads. I struggle to get around to quilting too - no matter how structured I try to be about it.