Monday, June 12, 2023

Crazy Busy...Typical Start to Summer

 Barely time for sleep.

So much to do.

Memorial Day is the official start of the gardening season. We spent Memorial Day weekend in Indianapolis to watch the Indy 500. One of those rare opportunities to join friends on a quick trip...not easy to do quick weekend trips to the lower 48 from Alaska. But our friends had done all the planning...tickets for the race and parade plus renting a place for our stay and a vehicle for our travels.

We just had to take care of our travel and write a check for our share. My favorite kind of trips!

It was a great race...lots of drama but no one hurt. Loved every minute of it. The parade the day before the race was so much fun.  All the drivers in the race were part of the parade...didn't expect that.

My Big Wild Life continues! 

I got another one of those texts from my neighbor, “Huge sow and cub out front.” I raced to a window and this is what I saw.


I had a good ten minutes to watch the pair. This was 9:15 p.m., so a nice quiet time of the day. 


The cub started making it’s way up the street. Then mama bear started heading down my driveway


Below is a video I posted on Youtube of the visit.


Lots of gardening...no quilting except on the computer.

I've been playing with the custom quilt setting in EQ8.


Island Batik put out a batik panel with bears a couple of years ago...I've had this idea floating in my head since I bought the panels. Still a work in progress. I didn't center my big star so I need to move everything over to the right before I go any further. The background will eventually all be black.


I don't know why I am all of the sudden obsessed with panels. I love the digitally printed ones because the colors are so vibrant. The eagle panel above is due to be released by Northcott in November. I downloaded the fabric line into EQ and just had to start playing with it. My design has 50 stars.  It finishes at 55 x 73-inches.

Okay...just a quick post to say I'm here...just overwhelmed with gardening and critter sightings...yes there were many more...black bears and moose!
 
Lots of yard photos in the next post...and probably more critter photos. 

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such an interesting life!!

Ramona said...

I love your photos of the wildlife in your neighborhood! This eagle panel is so beautiful! I love your design. Are the digitally printed panels as wonky as the panels that aren't digitally printed? I got so discouraged with the few that I had purchased that I haven't bought any more.

Kathleen said...

Are you scared to stray far from home on foot? Alaska looks so beautiful for hiking, but those bears!!