Wednesday, November 26, 2014

City Life

The past two days have been a noise assault. At times like this I really miss Alaska...even if it is a bit more cold and dark there right now. Two nights ago we had a drunk yelling on and off throughout the entire night somewhere near our apartment. The limestone exteriors of the all the apartment buildings creates a lovely acoustic effect...much like being in the Grand Canyon. Any sound is amplified and you really aren't sure which direction it is coming from. 

Then bright and early the next morning the jack hammer action around the corner from our apartment started. It has been continuing for the past two days and I saw where more spots were marked on pavement around the neighborhood for more asphalt/concrete breaking. 

Add to that a helicopter that hoovered near our apartment for a couple of hours last night. No idea what that was about but many movies are filmed in Paris and my best guess is it had something to do with that. 

Oh...and I almost forgot the neighbor who must be doing a little remodeling in their apartment...always at night...and sometimes after 10 p.m., I can hear them banging away at something.

Not a conducive atmosphere for concentration needed for the finer details of adding borders that require math. I didn't even try cutting and sewing yesterday but I managed to get the first border of green on today...so far my math is adding up correctly.


I'll add a purple border tomorrow and hopefully also my 2" squares of scraps from the blocks. No American turkey day to celebrate for us. Hubby works on Thanksgiving night and we will roast a chicken on Friday. (Fed Ex has to help Santa with the holiday season!)


Those sequins around the border of my wall hanging are taking some time to put in place.


I think it is also time to start putting up some Christmas decorations. I sure wish all the noises would stop!!!

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we heard the other day that there was a jewel heist near the Eiffel Tower the other day and a cop chase and guns shooting off - I knew it would be near you and wondered if you had heard it. Sounds like a active time in your part of the world!
Happy Thanksgiving

Lynette said...

The border sequins may be taking a long time, but they sure are adding such a nice touch! I hope the city is kinder to you at night very soon! Scott and I get "Concrete Fatigue" pretty quickly.

Lynette said...

The border sequins may be taking a long time, but they sure are adding such a nice touch! I hope the city is kinder to you at night very soon! Scott and I get "Concrete Fatigue" pretty quickly.

quilts a lot said...

Debbie,
Love your blog. I have been a follower of yours for a long time.
(Lurker). Have you tried the headphones that cover your ears. I have a pair that I listen to my I pod with when I am doing my long arm quilting. The machine is too loud to just play it from the docking station. You don't have to listen to anything though.
Just a thought. Love your current flower quilt. I love the saturated colour's. I love batiks too. I enjoyed the post when you were in Bali(?) and the shop you visited. I am doing a lot of the same projects that you have done. The Irish Mist, the Jodi Bergsma prints of the sea animals. We seem to have similar taste. Good luck with your noise pollution. I hope it improves.
Thanks,
Pauline (Calgary, Alberta)