Monday, December 31, 2018

Final Finish for 2018

It hit me to tackle one of the few quilts I started piecing this year at the May Breakfast Club meeting. It is the pattern, “Lotus,” by Jaybird Quilt’s and uses the ruler “Hex and More,” to cut all the pieces for the pattern. 


I already had most of the large triangle blocks constructed so I set them up on my design wall.


Above is the layout from the pattern but I didn’t love this look with my blocks. Something else came to me that would be so much more fun for quilting designs.


I only had to make seven more blocks to get this layout which is 69 x 89-inches. It was really a quick quilt to put together except a few times I stitched the triangle blocks together at the wrong angle so seam ripper work was involved.

One of the things I like about Breakfast Club is it gets me to try patterns and rulers I might not be drawn to as I shop at quilt stores. I never would have picked this one but I really enjoyed the ruler and how nicely all the pieces with bias edges came together. 

The first thing I did after I got the rows sew together was to top stitch a 1/4 around the outside edge to stabilize the outside edges. I even have a wide-backing piece of batik fabric in my stash that will work great...as it sits in "To Be Quilted," que now.

3 comments:

Sally said...

I love seeing how you use batiks....gives me great ideas on how to use my own rather large (to me ) stash of batiks. Hoping for a year of sewing for me this year. Happy New Year, my Alaska friend.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is so pretty!

Suz J said...

I do like the way you have altered the layout... it really makes your little pieces of colour pop!