Thursday, May 30, 2019

May Projects

In the evenings and maybe an hour in the mornings, I have been working on a few crafty projects. 

I have finished the stocking front from the Plaid Bucilla kit, "Santa Says Hello." This is a design from Mary Engelbreit which means it has a bit more challenging work that the norm for these kits.

I really like making stocking kits as they seem to come together so quickly.

 

I have been steadily working on the scrappy set of twin quilts. 

After sewing a few cream strips together to make the first small border on both quilts I decided that just wasn't going to work so have started changing my plan. 

I am "Bonnie Hunter-ing" my design. If you've ever made one of her mysteries you can appreciate how truly scrappy she approaches her designs. I've made one of her mysteries and I think it is influencing my take on this project.

So the first step of ripping off the cream strips and adding a border of  2 1/2-inch squares has been done on one quilt. 


Making the blocks for the second border is probably going to take me all summer!!!


I am going with a teal batik border. The batik print I ordered just didn't make me happy for the border and after much searching on the internet, I gave up trying to find the "Spumoni" Bali pop set from many years ago. At least the teal Hoffman 1895 batik is still available.

I did a mock-up first with my scrappy 1 3/4-inch HSTs from the quilt tops. Everything is always more cute in smaller sizes. 


I started working on a cross stitch project and found this pattern in my bag that I bought while in Wichita Falls, TX, at an adorable quilt shop, The Enchanted Quilt. They only had a few bolts of batik fabrics but I did find this pattern which I thought would look great with a reversal of values...white bunnies on a dark background. Our rabbits turn white in the winter and brown in the summer. 


Several quilts by this designer graced the walls the quilt shop. 
I had not seen her patterns before. Very cute stuff!

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you sure like those christmas socks!

Sally said...

It seems you are chugging along on those stockings...I've got so many that I may never finish them, at least at the rate I'm going on the one I have started so far. Every time you post, I tell myself I'm going to get that stocking out and work on it...and every time I get up to get it, I'm distracted by a quilting project. Sigh! Thanks for posting...today is a stocking kind of day!

Ramona said...

I love this stocking. It’s a new design to me. Is it an older kit? Your border is going to be gorgeous! I love how it looks already. Cute bunnie pattern, too.