Friday, June 7, 2019

Simplifying a Quilt Design and Gardening

I thought I'd start with some quilting news...
gee...
that just hasn't been in the forefront of my activities for some time.  

I thought the "knot" border was going to be great for the scrappy top center I finished a few weeks ago but it is very time consuming to make those blocks and I was going to need 148 of them for two quilts. After two weeks of stitching a few minutes a day I have 16 done. Not enthused about making these blocks the entire summer.

So I took the time to make a mock up of the completed design using the Electric Quilt program.


It's a lovely border but after seeing it I didn't think it really worked with my center design. I also noticed it made the quilt pretty large, 84 x 100-inches.

After stewing on the design for a day, I dedicated some time to playing with EQ and here is my new plan for the border. 


I love this border idea...which I think is an original. I haven't seen it before so I'm taking credit for this discovery. Still a large quilt, 80 x 96-inches but this border should be much quicker to sew together.

Now back to what I have really been spending most of my time doing...extreme gardening. 

The sun has finally been making a regular daily appearance. But new this year are afternoon thunderstorms. Every afternoon for almost a week, gray clouds line up on one side of our mountain valley and make a lot of racket. Below is the road I turn off to my driveway. This is my regular dog walking view. Yucky gray clouds to the left.


My latest project is the entrance to my driveway. Clearing out brush right now and hoping to get a rock garden started.


I got my veggies planted last week. Lots of broccoli! 


And every year I have to share pictures of my Blue Himalayan Poppies. If these weren't expensive plants I would have them everywhere! 


We've seen lots of critters. I saw this small black bear on my way to workout one morning. 

 

Most of the critters are pretty camera shy.

7 comments:

Suz J said...

Oh yes, that new border design looks fab with your quilt inner... Sometimes lots of piecing in the borders just becomes too much.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like that second border with your quilt although I do love the first one too. Those poppies! wow I have never seen that color beautiful - the drive going to your house is gorgeous you must need your eyes open and observing your surroundings constantly what with the wild animals - do you carry bear spray with you? It is all so pretty

Sally said...

Those poppies are amazing....I may need to see about getting one or two of those for our front entryway.

I love the new border for those quilts...

audrey said...

Your new border idea looks great! I hate it when a good idea gets completely bogged down in the sheer misery of doing the work. Kudos to your for coming up with an even better idea!

Ramona said...

Your border design is awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it in fabric. :) I, also, look forward to seeing what new landscape ideas you add to your yard this year. Love the blue poppies!

Donna quilts said...

Definitely the second border design! Not only less work to put together, but I think it frames the quilt better without taking the eye away from the center.
You're always so busy! The rock garden will be a lovely welcome at the entrance to your driveway and the blue poppies are awesome. I've never seen them elsewhere.
My son is currently trekking around the Yukon and the photos that he has shared with me show such beautiful scenery. He did the train ride to Skagway one day and got some great pictures of bears!

Morris Kate said...

Awwesome blog you have here