Saturday, April 25, 2020

Sweet Christmas

I am a sucker for a project with cute little buttons.

That's how I found myself taking on a redwork project which is definitely not my usual style.

It was a fun project! Since the redwork was embroidered by hand I decided to hand quilt it. 


I do love the bias binding! 


These "Sweet Christmas," blocks were designed by Lynette Anderson from Australia.


Cute little wooden buttons were popular on little quilting projects I saw at a needlework exposition in Paris which also influenced my decision to buy the first two kits I found in a Paris quilt shop.


Each block design was kitted as an ornament pattern with a button. No fabric or floss. 


"Grunge" from Moda was a new release when I went in search of a fabric. This background fabric has shades of light green to turquoise in the coloring.


I used the recommended floss, Cottage Garden Threads #1007. Hugs 'N' Kisses.


My mother-in-law helped me get the other 10 blocks. She tracked down a vendor in Texas who carried the blocks and other designs by Lynette.


I embroidered some of the blocks while traveling. 
Since the blocks are only 3 1/4-inches, they were very convenient to carry in a tiny project bag.


I think I went a little overboard quilting these tiny embroidery blocks.


So many cute blocks.


Love the stocking button.


The details on these tiny wooden buttons is amazing.


Looks like I got the arms stitched just right for the snowman button!


This is the free quilt pattern Lynette offered for the blocks on her website.

 I liked it but I really like stars so I got on EQ and designed alternating star blocks.

 I also like chain blocks so that got worked into my design. 


7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so cute - love the buttons!

Ramona said...

These little embroidered blocks are adorable! And you’re right, the detail in the buttons is amazing. I love your setting for these beauties. Gorgeous finish!

Mary said...

I really like your layout on this quilt. The embroidered blocks are so cute and the buttons are great.

Kathleen said...

I love your quilt. Your layout is perfect. I tried to find the embroidery pattern and buttons but no luck.

moosecraft said...

Beautiful! I like your star and chain block layout so much better!

Donna quilts said...

What a beautiful Christmas quilt! I like your layout much better too. The embroidery detail and buttons are so cute.

Suz J said...

These blocks and buttons are just too cute. I thought they looked familiar... my local quilt shop often runs BOMs of Lynettes designs.