Sunday, January 17, 2021

Yes! Projects!

 Just a brief reflection on the,”Year of COVID,” and some of the changes it brought about in my quilting/crafting world.

I discovered Flosstube and quilting videos on YouTube. 

I have been reading the blog, The Polka Dot Chicken, for many years and she turned me onto the mother and daughter team, Chelsea and Pricilla Barnes, who design cross stitch charts and have very creative finishing techniques. From reading Pricilla’s blog, I discovered their Flosstube show that airs every Saturday. 

Since late March 2020, I have had almost no regular live adult interaction with anyone but my husband...I was thrilled to discover their videos. Pretty much, the show rolls forward with all of life’s little speed bumps. It feels so authentic to watch their shows every Saturday. 

Turns out, Priscilla and Chelsea are great friends and business associates with Kimberly Jolly of the Fat Quarter Shop. So that led me to start watching all of the Fat Quarter Shop videos on YouTube.  They do a live Flosstube video every week and also a live quilting video every week.

Talk about going down a rabbit hole! I love the live videos with all their little imperfections. I feel like I am really in the moment with them when I am watching even though I don’t watch them “live.”

The Fat Quarter Shop offers so many free patterns for quilting and cross stitch. I love learning about Kimberly Jolly’s business, especially since I’ve been shopping at her online business for years. She publishes beautiful books for several designers and also has such a talented staff behind the scenes. 

YouTube will suggest other videos for me and that has led me to watch Pat Sloan’s videos which air live, six days a week! 

I could go on listing several more YouTube video channels that I watch regularly...but you get the idea.

Of course these shows have influenced what I am working on currently. Pat Sloan is doing several  Sew Alongs (SALs) and I did get pulled into “Stomping Ground.” I ordered the pattern from Fat Quarter Shop as instant PDF download. I had two elephants done on my last post...


I am taking my time on this project. Cutting out each elephant is the most time consuming step but it sure makes sewing these blocks super quick.

I like to work on my cross stitching whenever I am watching a “Flosstube,” video. I did order some new projects inspired by what I have seen on videos but decided first to start with a  Mill Hill kit that is not an ornament or holiday themed.


It is a mama polar bear with two cubs. It is s full coverage design on perforated paper. It has been waiting long enough for my attention.

I am still working on Bucilla felt kits. I decided to start officially giving my sons and their families a set of Bucilla ornaments every year.


These two identical ornaments are from a vintage kit from 1991, the year my oldest son was born...perfect! 

But I am most happy to share my quilting mojo is still going strong. There was a brief time where I wondered if I would ever stand at my quilting machine again...scary how all the anxiety of being locked down from COVID squelched my creative process. I think I just reached a breaking point with all the election news along with COVID and just turned off the news as much as I could. Watching others create on You Tube helped but so did filling my time with music, audible books and lighthearted videos. (I really enjoyed the "Bridgerton," series on Netflix...read the books years ago. Love the sets, costumes, and especially the point that it is not realistic at all. Very much like a fairytale.)


I approached quilting, “12 Days of Christmas,” a little differently. I basted it all together so I could move to whatever part of the quilt I wanted to tackle. Oddly enough, I did the sashing first as the idea of how to quilt it came to me first. 

Then I quilted all the borders of the blocks. 
Finally, I got the block appliqué areas quilted with monopoly thread. So far the Quilting Goddess has seen fit to keep my tension great during all these thread changes. I did change my needle before starting the quilting around the appliqués...very good idea I think.


Just a quick look at a couple of the blocks...


And as I was looking for the original book for this quilt, I discovered another set of appliqué blocks for the  Art to Heart quilt, “I Believe.” I completely forgot I had put them together the last year I was living in Paris.


Looks like I have my first project for the upcoming Material Girls retreat in February. I did all the black blanket stitching on the, “12 Days of Christmas,” on my Bernina 440 which is my Bernina that travels...which means it goes to retreats. A good project to work on a couple of hours a day.

No critter visits lately. The pups and the cat are all doing great which is awesome because they will be going to the pet motel. In a few days I will fly to California  to visit my son and his family...which includes my one and only grandchild...can’t wait!

I am taking a little denim dress to embroider on for her...but making sure it fits first. Nothing fancy...just a few flowers in DMC floss...and maybe a butterfly...and maybe her name...we'll see!

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I know what you mean about lack of interaction! I haven't been able to get into tutorials and all through the video's they just can't seem to my attention!
Too much horrible things in the news I agree - it is hard to watch and I think it makes my blood pressure go up.

Donna quilts said...

I found it hard to focus on any one thing for many months earlier in this "time of COVID". Plus, my husband retired and we made a major move across the country from Northern Alberta to the east coast of Canada - so that kept me from doing very much quilting for a few months! But it's coming back to me - finally!
Your elephants are so cute! Looking forward to seeing what you make with the blocks.
I am wondering if you use a different needle when quilting through the appliqué pieces that are attached with a fusible product. I have one of those Art to Heart books, although I don't remember which one. Must go dig it out!

moosecraft said...

That's the way to do it! Turn off the news and be happy! :-) Most of the news is reported to create chaos and drama anyways.... as an individual, you really can't "fix" any of what's on the news....you can only make the best of your (local) life each day! :-) Beautiful stitches on your appliques... I hope to be starting a machine applique piece soon. Enjoy your "great escape" to visit your grandchild!

Sally said...

Love all the projects you showed! Once I get the brace off my right hand, I can get back to stitching again.

Mary said...

So many wonderful projects in the works. Glad you were able to find Youtube videos that were comforting to watch. I know myself that it has been hard to focus on completing projects or reading books for awhile. I am finally settling into finishing the many projects I started during lockdown. Enjoy your trip and retreat. It will be so nice to see your granddaughter again.

Ramona said...

Thank you for the youtube video recommendations. I, too, have turned off the news and have listened to a lot of books during Covid while quilting. It's been wonderful! I love, love, love your elephants! That pattern may have to be purchased soon. Enjoy your trip to California! We were able to fly to California to meet our first grandchild at the beginning of the month. It was wonderful. :)

Suz J said...

The internet really is an amazing thing - sometimes it is just knowing what to look for and then following the suggestions. Each quilt is different - and it always surprises me how the learning curve doesn't seem to apply to quilting all that often. What I mean is that you learn from one quilt, but what you learn doesn't necessarily translate to a different quilt - a bit like kids, you need to learn their own individual idiosyncrasies.