Monday, February 1, 2021

February = The Return of Sunlight

 My mood always lifts when we hit February because the sun is rising higher in the sky and our sunlight hours have increased by almost two hours since the winter solstice on Dec. 21st. We usually get really cold but sunny days in Alaska during the month of February and that is just what we have today. It is minus-six-degrees this morning.

I buckled down last week and finished up the elephant blocks for, "Stomping Ground." There are no other borders in the original design but I am really leaning toward adding a piano key border...so many pretty colors.


On my recent trip to visit my granddaughter I took a couple of small cross stitch projects to work on and got two of these mini Halloween skulls done. Very fun kits from Mill Hill. There are a total of six skulls in the series.


When I got home, I got back to the polar bear piece. I have to stitch six rows of the aqua color on top just like the bottom band. Once I finish all the cross stitching I will add the beading.


And I did a little embroidery on baby Kate's dress. Since the dress just fits I only did a few watermelon slices on the bodice. She was a tentative walker when I arrived and was much less wobbly when I left. She just turned one in January...a very fun age.


I have a quilt retreat in two weeks!!! It almost got cancelled but we managed to get enough participants to make it go. Now I really need to get focused on the projects I will take for the long weekend.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I love how vibrant your elephant quilt turned out.
Cant believe your granddaughter is 1 already. She is very cute.
Glad to hear that your days are getting longer. That is some cold weather. Do you walk your dogs on cold mornings like that? My dogs love the colder weather more than the heat. We are in the midst of a major snowstorm here in NJ. Walking in the snow with the dogs has exhausted them( and me too).
Enjoy your retreat.

Ramona said...

Your elephants are the best ones I've seen. I just love the fabrics and colors you chose. Great top! Your granddaughter is just precious and looks so cute in her embroidered dress. Enjoy your sunlight. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you are able to go visit your family and see the granddaughter - sure is a cutie. I think the elephants would look great with a piano key border. Sunny days in February are perfect - glad you are getting more sun

Jill said...

Here in Michigan, the February sun is higher in the sky and it lightens my mood. One year olds and learning to walk is so much fun. I’m glad you got to be there in person. Yay! You get to go on a quilt retreat. I know the feeling. Enjoy!

Suz J said...

Yes... I can imagine a piano key border too... or a scrappy narrow border followed by a larger background (or single fabric) border. The elephants look delightful.