Wednesday, February 9, 2022

February 2022 Update

 Wow…2022 is just flying by so far.

I had a Material Girls retreat last weekend which meant there was lots of activity getting ready and lots of accomplishments. 

First, we had a challenge to finish whatever Moda Frivols kit we were given last May. 


My pattern was, “Lakeside,” with Brenda Riddle as the fabric designer. I had to supply the background and binding fabric. There is no batik fabric in this one so that was the big challenge to for me as I like the tighter weave of batiks. But it is adorable and will make a great baby quilt.

I like to work on a different project every day of a retreat. I started with a quilt I kitted up from my stash with a batik border print being my inspiration. The pattern is a freebie from In the Beginning Fabrics. It is a design from Jason Yenter, “Winter Elegance.”


I am calling my quilt, “Autumn Elegance.” I just need to add the borders and this quilt top will be done. 
 
My second project was, “Ice Castles,” which I also kitted up from my stash using a pattern from McCall’s Quilting, February, 2009.


I got all of the snowball and star blocks made at retreat and quickly made up the border blocks yesterday. I  still need to sew all the blocks together. Then there will be a focus fabric for an outer border. 

And my final start at retreat was another blue and white snow-themed quilt, “Snow Stars.” I kitted this one from my stash…and I’ve not even made a tiny dent in my stash…but I am trying. 


I forgot to take my Bloc-Loc ruler to size these half-rectangle triangles so I moved to the second step which is making hundreds of four-patch blocks. 

Most of my show and tell at retreat where pieces I’ve shared on my blog but I added a Seminole border to the Chandelier top made with sewing-themed batiks.


Just a little info about our retreat group. 
Our Material Girls quilting group meets during the “school year,”…summer schedules are too hectic for us to meet. We schedule 3 retreats during our quilting season, October, February and May. We also meet for a Saturday Sew-In day at our local quilt shop, the second Saturday of the month, for the months we don’t have a retreat. 

I think I joined the group in 2016.
I love it!

We decide amongst ourselves what “challenge,” we might tackle during the season. 
Since we just finished a challenge we are weighing two options. One is a mystery quilt one of our ladies will select and lead or making a quilt with the pineapple block using whatever method you want. I believe there is a new Creative Grids ruler a couple of ladies have for making pineapple blocks. I have a magazine pattern that uses paper piecing. We will decide at our May retreat. 

As always…there were some handwork projects I stitched on recently.

My latest Bucilla kit project is a vintage kit that is a 3-D tree. I have to make the tree and all the ornaments. I think this will take me a couple of more months to finish.






I officially finished the 2020 trio of Mill Hill Jim Shore ornaments.


Feathered Friends Snowman, Gift Giving Snowman and Clean Sweep Snowman.

I am now working on the 2021 Jim Shore series of snowman and have one done, 


Snowman with Cocoa.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

4 comments:

Ramona said...

There is nothing in this post that I don't like! I do have to say that I thought the first quilt was someone else's, since it is not your style. It's a beautiful finish, though. Is the Bucilla tree kit an old kit?

Sally said...

I agree with Ramona - there isn't anything about this post that I don't like. I always stop when I see something you've done that isn't batiks...that's quite rare for you! I always loved going to retreats...not happening anytime soon for me with the Plague and having my mom living with us. At 92, she just can't get around easily any more. She needs help and I'm it!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Lovely projects!

Suz J said...

Wow, so many great projects. I always have a huge sense of achievement when I manage to complete a quilt top mostly from stash - we stash fabrics for a reason! Your Material Girls sounds like an awesome bunch.