Thursday, April 6, 2023

A Little Spring Decor Update

 It’s snowing…but I am trying to remain hopeful I will be gardening in a month…or two. 

I was gifted three Easter-themed gifts at my last retreat and it gave me the little push I needed to get my Spring cross stitch piece finished and ready to display. 

For weeks I have been searching locally and online for a framing solution for my Spring cross stitch piece. My first thought was to find a cute Easter wreath and mount it on that. I looked at Michaels and JoAnns right as they got their Easter decorations out but didn’t find any good options. I was also disappointed with the selection of options for wreath building materials. I even looked on Etsy shops.

What’s a girl to do but just dive in and hope a solution arrives magically.

I decided to try my hand at lacing my project.


I started by using an adhesive mounting board I bought from the Fat Quarter Shop. I cut it to size with a 60mm rotary cutter I use for crafting projects. Then I adhered a layer of batting to the sticky side, This was the base for the cross stitch piece.  I used upholstery thread for the lacing…had plenty of that in my stash. Lacing gave me much sharper corners than gluing or using double sided tape to mount the cross stitch piece. 


Part of what got me into stitching pieces other than ornaments was all the great finishing ideas I discovered as a result of having lots of time to entertain myself during the lock downs. I started with videos from the Fat Quarter Shop…then Stitching with the Housewives and then I discovered the world of floss tube videos where stitchers share so many great finishing ideas.

I turned to my stash of fabrics to look for an accent fabric. Not surprising, I found a fat quarter of the perfect batik I don’t remember acquiring and now I wish I had several yards of it!



But it needed a little something else so I dug in my stash for rick rack to add to the mix. Just a little touch of lavender rick rack. I wider width would have been fun…that would have required more searching of supplies…I really wanted to get a display this year.


Too cute.
 It works with all the other fluff around it. The bunny mug rug was from my quilting friend Cecilia. Three of the ladies made adorable retreat gifts. I really need to do that next time.

I might still try the wreath idea next year...if I find one I like. 


I was given this adorable wool bunny ornament by Kaye and then Lori gave me a sweet fabric basket…just perfect for a few of my Bucilla Easter basket stuffers.


The tier tray is full of eggs and bunnies.


It would be fun to make a runner to anchor all this cuteness.

The only spring piece I've had for years was this Mill Hill kit I made a long time ago...I painted the perforated paper to match my last home's decor...still works in this house.


With Easter just a few days away...I have to share these sweet wool eggs my friend Joyce, was working on at our retreat. So gorgeous. Joyce does a lot of wool projects with decorative stitching....and they are all fabulous. 


No word on the status of my Nolting Fun Quilter repair...but you know there are plenty of projects to tackle in my studio. 


I have been sewing now and then on a top made from cotton batik.


Version C with a collar added. No pockets.


I think it is great! So nice to have a fun top!


Lots of darts. It is very fitted. Definitely planning to make it again. 

It has stopped snowing...and the sun is shining.

I am sooo ready for Spring to hop into my part of the world.

Have a Hoppy Easter

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

when do you generally move into spring when you can actually garden? love those felt eggs I have a pattern and made one in a Christmas design but it didn't turn out well and I ended up tossing them. those are beautiful.
I wonder what those in Alaska do for the long winter if they do have crafts - I would think it would help keep a person sane!

Ramona said...

You new top is beautiful! I love the fabric and the design. You are ready for Easter with your adorable display! Here’s to spring arriving soon at your house.

Kathleen said...

The top looks great on you. Love the cross stitch.

Riobet said...

Thanks for the effort you've made to make this blog so useful